The first 9 hole golf course in Port Shepstone was laid out in 1912, situated between the present site of the Dutch Reformed Church and Port Shepstone High School with the southern boundary being the Umbango River. The greens were sand in those days. Also in 1912, on the present site of the PSCC golf course, a corrugated iron pavilion was built to house tables, chairs and tools for use for the Gymkanas and Athletics school sport which were held there.
Then in 1918 the Lower Umzimkulu Lawn Tennis Club was moved from Batstons Drift to this site and the pavilion was used for storing tennis equipment. During 1928 the president of the Tennis Club, Mr Neil McKenzie and the committee decided to engage Syd Brews to design a 9 hole golf course at the present site. Mr McKenzie with the help of the club members, local farmers and farm labourers, ploughed, harrowed and leveled the golf course and duly planted the grass for the fairways and greens. Whilst digging a fossilized elephant’s tooth was found which is still presently housed at the local museum.
Mr Young was engaged to build the first Club House – the design being based on a similar structure that Mrs McKenzie had seen in Ladysmith. Mr Neil McKenzie, the first President and Founder of the Club passed away in March 1938. The McKenzie Trophy Competition, in memory of him, still takes place at PSCC every year.